1. The hugeness of their popularity waxes and wanes but never disappears.
2. Movies made about them are seldom historically accurate.
3. The treasures the old school pirates pursued were chiefly tea, sugar and gunpowder (all of which were worth more than gold by volume).
4. They say “argh”
5. There still are pirates but the real ones aren’t anywhere near as fun or sympathetic.
6. Possibly because the fun ones look like Keith Richards.
7. They dislike Ninjas & Zombies even more than regular people do.
8. Even when they’re clearly the bad guys, such as in books like Treasure Island and Peter & Wendy, Pirate Captains are still well liked.
9. I’ll be dressing as a Pirate Captain the next three Sundays and two Wednesdays (8th, 11th, 15th, 18th & 22nd Jan) to play music out at the Tangled Maze near Creswick from 11am each day.
10. I’m expecting some of the kids will have better pirate costumes than me
I’m really looking forward to it. Argh.